Thursday, August 14, 2008

My Independent Study Projects

Since I have been here I have felt inspired everyday for projects that I want to do during my time here. Before I got here I had been planning on working on product design for people who are blind or visually impaired, but the more that Rome influences me, the more I desire to step away from product design and pursue projects that I, till now, have not been able to experience within the confines of my major.

     For the first half of my independent study, I plan on working on combining animation and sound to create a video which shows what a person with complete blindness "sees" while traveling through the streets of Rome using a white cane. Using line, color and sound to represent all of the senses (except sight, of course), I aim to show how we can "see" the beauty and grandeur of Rome, without even using our eyes.

     For the second half, once I have had more experience being in Rome, I plan on making either an artist book or an exhibition display. Through the use of tactile representation, I aim to give a kind of "tale" about Rome and it's history. This will be a sort of "sighted guide" guide book, specifically for people with complete vision loss.

This is just a very short, rough trial clip showing the type of animation I could do. Though the final will hopefully look way more refined, and will be richer, visually.

No comments: