Friday, September 3, 2010

The Beginning

It's my 12th day in San Francisco and I'm doing quite fine. the first day I got here was apparently the nicest day it had been in a long time, and it stayed that way for a couple days, which is a small miracle around here. I guess I just brought the sunshine with me from Texas.

As soon as I got out of the car in front of my new home I was immediately greeted by a most wonderful smell I can't say I've ever experienced in any other large city before. It reminded me of many happy days at Grandma's house in Minnitonka when I was young and had not a care in the world. I cannot explain where this scent might have been emanating from, but the sense of warmth and welcoming it gave me was incredible.

The next couple of days were filled with non-stop preparations, shopping, organizing, putting furniture together. It seemed that we were getting at least 20 packages a day, and like a child a Christmas, I was eagerly opening each one, finding silly things like a lemon squeezer, a package of 60 Bic pens, and even, to my delight, slides and scientific instruments to use with our newly acquired microscope.

I have settled in quite nicely and even have my own office space with a wonderfully cheery yellow desk from West Elm and a sheepskin rug underneath which is incredibly soft and nice for digging my toes into.

I guess in all the relaxing and vacationing of the summer, spending 2 weeks mostly sitting in a car for hours on end and then stopping by one restaurant after another for each meal, I have gained weight. I don't really see it, but it's quite evident every time I try to put on a pair of jeans and they just don't quite fit. So, I stepped on the scale yesterday and indeed had my worst fears confirmed. So, the fervor of my dieting has been renewed and I am completely determined to lose at least 12 pounds by Christmas, which shouldn't be too hard if I just use these steep hills as my gym.

Speaking of the hills, I have never been more scared riding in a car while going down hill than I am here. Some roads are so steep that even as you sit on the very edge of the road before it slopes off, you cannot see the road in front of you. I just can't get used to it, it feels like you are driving off a cliff.

It's a strange feeling living here right now. Not too unlike my time in Rome. It's hard to explain, but I can already feel that, like Rome, my creativity will flourish here and I will find a new sense of artistic yearning, something that was unfortunately lost during my last year and a half a RISD. (I know how strange it sounds that I have to get out of art school to find my passion for art again, but thats just the way it goes sometimes)

Overall, everything is great, and this is just the beginning.

No comments: