Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Cinque Terre

Le Cinque Terre is a chain of five remarkably picturesque towns on the Italian Riviera, covering about 7 miles of beautiful coastal territory which is punctuated by cliff top olive groves, grape vineyards, striking geology and azure water below soaring cliffs.

In the morning we took a train to Riomaggiore, the southernmost town in the chain, and arrived at around 10:30 in the midst of pouring rain. Due to the rain throughout the day and the previous night making the trails muddy and dangerous, our main hiking journey that we had planned was cancelled and we were left free to do whatever we wanted. Our lodging for the night was in the form of apartments that were interspersed throughout the town. My favorite of these apartments was tucked away in the uppermost part of the town and to get there, one had to climb an old stone trail, with the hills rising immediately on either side, which reminded me greatly of the Hobbit land in Middle Earth of the Lord of the Rings books. Even the quaint little stone apartment house, with the large round doorknob placed in the center of the door, and just enough room for 4 people to sleep, seemed as if it had just come right out of a children’s picture book. People in my group were planning on going down to the shore for a little swimming and possibly some cliff diving, but when I got outside and saw these stone steps which looked as if they hadn’t been travelled in 50 years, I just couldn’t say no to climbing them and seeing where they led to. Since I am never one for letting a little rain and cold stop me, I ventured out with no idea as to where I would go or what I would do once I got there, but the beauty of the trail ahead was calling to me and telling me to move forward.


Along the trail, every path that I saw deviating from it was another opportunity for exploration. Traveling like this I often found myself at the top of a hill overlooking a garden, in the middle of a grape vineyard, or stuck in the thorns of raspberry bushes. By sight or sound there were no other people. It was just me and the earth, getting to know each other. Slowly but surely I was making my way to the top of the mountain

Higher and higher I went until I realized I could see the ocean and the small town of Riomaggiore leading up to it. Towards the top of the mountain the vineyards gave way to forests, with traces of ancient walls for some long-forgotten purpose scattered throughout. I just
keep on walking, feeling as if I am searching for something without knowing what it is yet.

Taking the opportunity of the silence and state of peace with the earth and sky that I was in, I start singing hymns and songs of praise to God for the supreme beauty of this world that He created. I pray for the land and the people here. For the energy to carry on and for the wisdom to know when it's time to stop. For guidance in God's chosen path for me, and the strength to follow it.

No matter how grand people can build a church. No matter how much gold and silver and jewels and art can be put there. No matter how well designed a cathedral can be. No man-made thing on Earth could truly "house" God. I believe that if God were to choose any place on earth to reside it would be in the pure and natural wilds. Nothing a human could ever make could be as beautiful and complex and perfect as what God Himself has created. It is for this reason that I seek the Earth in solitude, for it is here where I can feel God's presence most strongly, and know that He is here with me. Here away from the eyes of others I can be my true self, an imperfect child of God. I within Him and Him within me.

As I walk along the top of the mountain, more and more of the world below starts coming into view. Eventually I come upon what appears to be the end of the trail, and the start of a couple more trails around a small field. From the side of the cliff here I can see the entire coastline and the vast ocean stretching out miles and miles before me.

I feel as if I have reached the ends of the Earth. Way far out in the distance I can see a barge out in the ocean, alone in a vast, never-ending sea of beauty. My spirit is transported to the place where the ocean becomes the sky and I know that although I too am out here by myself, I am not alone. I have carried with me the spirit of all adventurers who have come here before me, as well as those who have yet to come. The only thing that could have made my joy more complete is if I could have shared that moment with someone I love, but I knew that they were right there with me, thinking of me as I was thinking of them, in the place where the ocean becomes the sky.

No comments: