Thursday, September 25, 2008

Self Portraits- series #1

I'm starting a series of self portraits that all represent some aspect of myself

*note*
yes, I did take all these pictures myself, but if you can't tell, all the better

This series I call "Spaghetti Western"

I think this is my favorite picture in this sort series


the name "Spaghetti Western" came from a bunch of western style films that were made in the first half of the 20th century by Italian directors. Often using Italian actors (except for the main "hero" character who had to be American) and filming in parts of Italy that resemble the landscape of the American West. Except for the main American actor, the actors would often say their lines in Italian, and then it would be dubbed over for the American audience.






















obviously, I applied different effects to these pictures in order to get a different feel from them. Kind of just playing around to see what sort of stuff I can do with the image to get a different reaction to each one.




for this one, i juxtaposed the image of myself with the images of my bedroom wall, which has pictures of my family and friends, as well as other objects, who are an integral aspect of myself. even though at this point many would hardly recognize the person in the mirror as being me, the wall, in a sense, represents some of the things that got me to where I am today, even though I sometimes cloak these things in a protective, but still fancier, "jacket and hat"

Ok, seriously, enough with the BS "artist's statement." Truth is I just like how the image of myself looks on the wall with all my other pictures, because you almost don't even notice that it's actually looking into a mirror at first, like it could just be a wall poster or something.

No comments: